Check out our list of the 35 best indoor activities in and around Atlanta
Spring in Atlanta is the perfect time to play outdoors, unless, of course, you’re one of the 25 million Americans who is allergic to trees, grass or ragweed pollen. Maybe we shouldn’t mention this season’s higher than normal rainfall or the sweltering summer temperatures that come with living in the southeast.
While we would never give up the SEC, Chick-fil-A, or sweet tea, sometimes you have to head indoors — at least for a little while. Here are 35 of the very best, fun, wacky, weird and unique things to do in the ATL:
1. The World of Coca-Cola – You’ll be amazed at the history behind the iconic drink, visit the Secret Formula vault, and have the chance to sample 100+ Coca-Cola beverages from around the world. Have a coke and a smile!
2. LEGOLAND Discovery Center – Visit the 4D Cinema, experience the thrill of the interactive rides, check out the race car Build & Test area, and join the Master Builder Academy to build with experts. It’s the ultimate indoor playground for both adults and kids.
3. College Football Hall of Fame – 95,000 square feet, a 45-yard indoor football field, and 50+ interactive exhibits dedicated to the greatest players and coaches in the history of college football.
4. Center For Civil and Human Rights – Explore the history of the civil rights movement and how it’s impacted civil rights around the globe.
5. Georgia Aquarium – Dive into the underwater world of tens of thousands of sea animals, including 500 species from around the world. Be sure to check out the Behind the Seas tour, too!
6. Andretti Indoor Karting & Games – Take adventure to a new level with Andretti-style action, speed, and excitement. From go-karting and ropes courses to zip lines and racing simulators, it’s fun at every hairpin turn.
7. Dad’s Garage Theatre – Enjoy the hilarious improv comedy–or jump into an 8-week class–at this award-winning non-profit theatre.
8. Delta Flight Museum – Tour vintage jets and explore rare artifacts, learn about aviation’s cutting-edge technology and fly the only Boeing 737 flight simulator open to the public.
9. Fox Theatre – The hour-long guided tour will take you back to the golden era of the Fox Theatre. Learn the secrets and the history of the largest movie palace in the southeast.
10. High Museum of Art – One of the nation’s leading art museums, the High houses 11,000 pieces comprised of classic and contemporary African, American, and European art, decorative and folk art, and photography.
11. Jimmy Carter Presidential Library & Museum – The only Presidential Library in the southeast, you’ll be able to visit a life-size replica of Jimmy Carter’s Oval Office and study the historical memorabilia that showcases the former president’s time in office.
12. Atlanta Movie Tours – For all you movie buffs…hop on a comfortable, climate-controlled bus and visit your favorite movie and television locations. Their insider tour guides are great at share fascinating behind-the-scenes stories you won’t hear anywhere else.
13. Mercedes-Benz Stadium – Catch an Atlanta Falcons game or an Atlanta United Soccer game at the best sports and entertainment complex in America, or sign up for a guided tour that will give you a behind-the-scenes look into through the state-of-the-art facility.
14. CNN Center – Take the behind-the-scenes tour of CNN’s world headquarters. See how a live broadcast works and how the world’s largest news organization operates.
15. TopGolf – Swing by this climate controlled, luxury, driving range complex to challenge your friends to fun, point-scoring golf games that appeal to every skill level. You don’t need to be a scratch golfer to have fun at this venue.
16. Michael C. Carlos Museum (Emory University) – Study the legacies of ancient civilizations when you visit the Southeast’s largest collection of antiquities and artifacts from ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome, the Near East, and the Americas.
17. The Painted Pin – It’s not only an upscale boutique bar and bowling alley, but you can also try your hand at indoor bocce ball, ping pong, shuffleboard, skeeball, giant Jenga, darts, southern skittles, and more!
18. Margaret Mitchell House – Whether you love literature or frankly, don’t give a darn, you’ll be intrigued by the history behind the most well-know and beloved southern soap opera—both the novel and the movie–of all time.
19. The Shakespeare Tavern Playhouse – Eat, drink, and nourish your inner poet. Costumes, sword fights, live music, and an enchanting night of theatre awaits.
20. Atlanta History Center – This 33-acre experience explores historical homes, exhibitions, miles of garden trails, and interactive activities that lend themselves to Atlanta’s historic relevance.
21. Bodies the Exhibition: Atlanta – Amazing, weird, educational, and beautiful, the exhibition offers an intimate and respectful view into the extraordinary uniqueness of the human form.
22. Starlight Six Drive-in Theater – Watch a movie in the comfort of your own…car! Take a ride back into the 1950s at this multiple screen drive-in that offers double features every day of the week.
23. Pop The Cork Wine Tours – Wine connoisseur of not, you’ll learn how to swirl, sip, and savor during your public or private tour of the North Georgia Wine Country. Tours include chauffeured transportation, a gourmet picnic lunch, and a full day of wine tasting.
24. Fernbank Museum of Natural History – Explore cultural artifacts, marvel at the prehistoric world of dinosaurs, enjoy science interactives and experience the thrill of the IMAX® Theatre.
25. iFLY Atlanta Indoor Skydiving – Not the daredevil you’d like to be? You can still experience the thrill of skydiving as you free fall on a smooth cushion of air. No parachute, not tether, but super safe and super cool!
26. Cascade Skating Rink – An integral part of Atlanta’s music scene, you’ll discover a whole new world of roller skating dance. Family, teen, and adult nights feature both regulars—of which you’ll be in awe–and novices, so go get your groove on.
27. Decatur Glass Blowing – Nate Nardi, glass artist, owner, and operator has created a full showroom of stunning glass blown art. Stop by to marvel at his creations or sign up for a glass blowing class yourself—or make it a date night!
28. Bury The Hatchet – Learn about the competitive sport of axe throwing, practice wielding an axe at a wooden target, and participate in a tournament-style game with your friends! Take out your frustrations and have some fun. Don’t worry; most everyone is a first-timer.
29. Board & Brush – You don’t have to be an artist to create a masterpiece. Head over to this creative studio to build, distress, and paint custom, on-trend, classic farmhouse style décor. Come on your own or bring a group of DIY-ers. No experience necessary!
30. Paint the Town – Eat, drink, and paint your way to a beautiful piece of art. This BYOB paint and sip art studio, staffed with friendly and talented artists helps to create a fun and relaxing night with friends.
31. Salud! Cooking School – Whether you’re a seasoned chef or prefer to make reservations, these hands-on cooking classes teach culinary skills, techniques, and recipes, that are educational, practical, fun, and most importantly, delicious!
32. The Booth Western Art Museum– The only museum of its kind in the southeast, the main art galleries feature the Western artists of the 20th and 21st centuries. Come see America’s story.
33. Medieval Times – Travel back to medieval Spain as you’re entertained by brave knights who compete in a 2-hour jousting tournament while you enjoy dining with the royal court. Who will be crowned champion?
34. Room Escape Atlanta – If you can follow the clues and solve the puzzle, you might just be able to escape. But can you do it in time? An exciting and thrilling test of teamwork, cooperation, and out-of-the-box thinking.
35. SkyView Atlanta – Sitting 20 stories above Centennial Park—in a climate-controlled gondola–you’ll enjoy the most spectacular panoramic view of downtown Atlanta. Upgrade to the VIP ride and your gondola will sport Ferrari style seats, a glass floor, and longer flight time.